What You’re Risking When Neglecting a Moldy Basement: Sump Pumps Are the Answer

sump pumps

Mold should always be an unwanted and undesirable guest in your home.

But despite your best efforts, sometimes it’s difficult to avoid. Though more experienced homeowners may understand that wall-vented crawl spaces cannot maintain relative humidity below 70% threshold, and are thus subject to condensation, they already know how to eradicate the problem.

Experienced homeowners also know what consequences come with ignoring such a serious issue.

However, newer homeowners may not know the importance of using sump pumps, waterproofing, and keeping your basement dry. There are some heavy risks associated mold, so in an effort to urge you to read up on mold removal, here are some of the dangers of allowing mold to thrive in your home.

It’s an attack on your health

Breathing in mold can negatively impact your health in the long and short term. However, it can cause even more serious damage to the elderly, children, and individuals with autoimmune disorders.

Mold can cause:

  • runny noses
  • watery and itchy eyes
  • irritated skin
  • wheezing
  • fevers
  • headaches
  • it can worsen and aggravate asthma

Though you may not notice the mold right away, keep an eye out for these physical symptoms. If you may not be experiencing them, maybe someone else in the home is, so remain observant.

The negative effects of mold on your house

Though mold may not damage the structural integrity of your home, it can lead to unpleasant odors. Mold can also cause the value of your house to plummet.

Mold can spread

It only takes 24 to 48 hours for an army of spores to grow.

Whether you like it or not, mold has the potential to spread to other places in your home. Though it may start in the basement, it can grow and migrate if you don’t take preventative measures.

Sump pumps can prevent damage and sickness

Sump pumps keep moisture out of your basement or crawlspace, by completely eradicating the threat.

Sump pumps work by collecting the accumulating water found in a small and damp space, such as a basement, attic, and draining and depositing it to an outside location.

Sump pumps can help ensure that your home remains mold-free. On average, a quality pump should last you ten years, so it’s worth the investment if you’re wanting to prevent mold before you spot any clear indication of it.

As long as you’re checking in every 6 months to see that it’s working, it’s a relatively low maintenance mechanism.

However, if something seems out of the ordinary, or you’ve noticed it’s not working, you may need to call a professional to evaluate the damage.

Make these bi-monthly checks a good and routine habit and look out for debris lodged in the pump, a clogged line, or broken valve.

Keep in mind when you’re making your purchase, that sump pumps come in a variety of sizes and you’ll have to select the right one for the area you wish to cover.


Though mold grows unannounced, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be prepared for the worst. Susceptible areas prone to mold are attics, bathrooms, crawlspaces, and basements. So even if you’re a new homeowner, take charge of your living space and make sure your health, your family’s health, and your home remain a priority.